|Silver bullet: My newly-acquired '76 Schwinn Continental|
They told me Schwinns multiply, and sure enough, I've found that's true. I bought this Schwinn Continental that was listed on Craigslist in Louisville, Ky., on Feb. 16, 2016.
It is a 22" frame with 27" wheels and is a 10-speed. Factory-equipped, it has Randonneur alloy handlebars, but I plan to swap that out for a Wald bar that is more like what's on the '70 Racer.
Stay tuned, there will be more to come!
REPAIRS, UPGRADES & MAINTENANCE: ***NOTE: TRUE MILEAGE OF BICYCLE IS UNKNOWN***
- Replaced tires and tubes (Michelin Protek 27x1-1/4" tires, Sunlite tubes), 0.0 mi., 2/29/16
- Replaced brake pads and cables (Jagwire X pads, Bell Pitstop 500 cables), 0.0 mi., 2/29/16
- Converted handlebars from randonneur-style to tourist-style, 0.0 mi., 2/29/16. Project included the following parts:
- Wald 2.5" rise touring handlebar
- Sunlite #3109 contour grips
- Sunlite #1271 touring brake levers
- Installed SKS B42 Commuter II fenders, adjusted and relubricated chain and derailleurs, 10.7 mi., 3/4/16
- Installed Origin8 Data Station 8 cycle computer, 10.7 mi., 3/5/16
- Installed Schwinn #SW77672-6 tool-free bell, 28.1 mi., 3/13/16
- Adjusted brakes and installed Schwinn Cruzair seat, 48.3 mi., 3/16/16
- Adjusted front hub bearings and re-centered wheel, 65.5 mi., 3/22/16
- Replaced Wald #8095 handlebar with #803 bar and Hunt Wilde grips, added Sunlite rear rack and new rack and frame bags for commuting, 220.3 mi., 4/30/16
- Revised rear brake cable housing, 240.6 mi., 5/3/16
- Replaced rear brake cable (entire assembly) and front brake cable housing, 286.3 mi., 5/8/16
- Replaced rear tube, 424.7 mi., 6/20/16
- Adjusted brakes, 450.5 mi., 6/26/16
- Replaced rear wheel (Wheelmaster #6421) and freewheel (SunRace), 746.9 mi., 9/6/16
- Tightened spokes, front and rear, 974.2 mi., 11/12/16
*Overhaul: Clean, inspect and repack bearings, replacing any parts as needed.