My 1970 Schwinn Racer
|My 1970 Schwinn Racer, in Campus Green, with a few mods. A great bike and a lot of fun to ride!|
And, on Oct. 18, 2015, I finally got the one I really wanted: A 1970 Schwinn Racer.
Finished in Schwinn's ever-popular Campus Green, this one came from the son of its original owner, who purchased it at the old Art's Schwinn Cyclery in Evansville, Ind.
It's a simple bike, with just one speed and a sturdy Bendix 70 coaster brake hub that works as nicely now as it did when new.
Its one real frill is the battery-powered chrome bullet headlight, which only halfway worked when I got it ... It took some doing, but I got it cleaned up and working.
The bike has new Kenda K-23 blackwall tires (it was on its original Carlisle-made Schwinn Straight Side Nylon Touring tires when I brought it home) and included its original owner's manual, an extra chainguard decal, and a pair of new glitter green grips (say that 10 times fast!).
- Installed new Weinmann ZAC20 wheels (front and rear) and Continental CityRIDE II tires, 158.8 mi., 2/15/16
- Installed Schwinn cushioned springer saddle, 187.1 mi., 2/26/16
- Removed springer saddle and rack, May 2016 (mileage and exact date not recorded)
- Trued rear wheel, 270.4 mi., 5/15/16
- Fine-tuned the rear wheel and trued the front wheel, 273.8 mi., 5/15/16
*Overhaul: Clean, inspect and repack bearings, replacing any parts as needed.